Tuesday 13 January 2015

Hello again - updates from Yee Ma

In my previous post, I said good-bye to this blog.

I’m back. To quote a certain well-known movie: “I just can’t quit you.”
In my very first blog post, I started off by mentioning how my four-year-old niece asked me if I liked toys too. I’m happy to now say that she has seemed to catch the doll lover’s bug. While it isn’t unusual for a young girl to like dolls, it may be less common to hear her use the phrase “I want to collect” and be able to describe the differences between the various Anna and Elsa dolls in her possession. She has been admiring my doll displays since she was three and the other day asked to see my drawer of miniature food. My dad, her grandfather, had once said, “maybe she’ll become like you and grow up to want to do the same thing” and “maybe her dad should install some shelves for her to set up her toys on.” I scoffed at the notion and replied that little kids want to play with their toys, not put them up on shelves to just look at.

Apparently, I was wrong. Her various dolls, along with their doll-sized food and furniture, have taken over a bookcase. I was told that soon after this was set-up, she asked, “What happens if I have a birthday party here and my friends want to touch my stuff?” It looks like the apple does not fall far from the aunt’s branch of the family tree. I hope this interest is genuine and she is not just copying what she is seeing. But you know what they say: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
It is nice to have someone share this interest of mine. Yes, she is only an “almost five year old”. But she is very bright and seems to be able to take in details that a lot of adults can’t. It is fun to shop for her and to share my new additions to my collection with her. Her birthday is coming up and I have decided to pass along to her my collection of Barbie doll-sized small appliances that she has been coveting: microwave, toaster, blender, mixer, measuring cup, and rolling pin. The microwave has a door that opens and closes. There is a removable miniature bag of popcorn inside. The toaster has two mini size slices of bread that pop up. The blender makes a whirring sound when you press a button. The mixer has an attachment that actually spins and come with a removable mixing bowl.

 
Barbie sized toaster and mixer



In addition to the Barbie kitchen set, I am also giving my niece a Monster High doll I found on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart. Although Monster High seems to be a very popular line of dolls, I’ll have to say that I never really paid much attention to them. But I have seen a few reviews on YouTube and remember liking the hair on this particular one named Honey Swamp. 
Monster High Honey Swamp doll
I have enjoyed returning to this blog and writing an update on my adventures in dolls. I am now able to add my niece into the mix.  She will no doubt appear in future posts with adventures of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment