Wednesday 19 November 2014

Bye Bye Blog

“Bye bye blog
Bye bye happiness
Hello loneliness
I think I'm-a gonna cry.”


No, not really.

This is my last post for this blog series. I have actually really enjoyed having carte blanche to write about one of my favorite topics. To be able to write at great length and detail about any aspect of doll collecting has been a lot of fun. In my former work life, I did not really get to tap into the creative side of me, so this has been a great experience.

I have reflected on my history with miniatures these past ten weeks. My first recollections were not from my childhood, but my teenage years when I admired lighted Christmas ceramic buildings from the Department 56 collection. I started to collect these in earnest when I got my first full time job.

My interest in miniatures veered off in a new direction, when I started paying attention to Barbie in my search for toys for my niece. This is when my interest in fashion dolls, their clothing, and their accessories started to develop. I discovered Etsy, an online marketplace where people sell and buy handmade items. I have purchased many clothing items for 11 inch dolls on Etsy. This is also where I found a source of miniature foods. I devoted an entire blog post to the various miniature foods I bought on Etsy, posting pictures of little desserts and Asian food items. In essence, I got to experience the details of them all over again. This was nice because my miniature foods are all stored in a drawer right now so I haven’t looked at them in a while.

I opened up my very first blind boxes. I shared this experience in a blog post and posted pictures of which Hallowe’en Hello Kitty figurines I got in my “mystery mini” adventure.

I discussed doll photography, some of my favorite websites, and also my favorite YouTube toy reviewers. The Internet is a place where one can find not only many other people who share the same interests but also various ways of indulging in and exploring these interests. I discovered an online community and also a new lingo for doll lovers.

I devoted three entire blog posts to the dolls I gifted to myself for my birthday. Talk about indulgence! Once again, writing about all these dolls was a way of experiencing them all over again.  I commented on each and every mini Lalaloopsy doll I own, posting pictures, and discussing why I liked these particular dolls. I also shared pictures and descriptions of dolls I have from Integrity Toys. Once again, this was a nice thing since these three dolls are all still in their boxes. I was forced to open up the boxes to examine them some more.

Perhaps I will be able to find a job where all I do is write about dolls all day long.

I wish.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment