Friday 7 November 2014

Happy Birthday to me - Part 2

I will now describe the second part of my birthday bonanza. These toys are more of the fashion doll variety than the Lalaloopsy dolls I wrote about in my previous post. All three of these dolls are from the Integrity Toys line http://www.integritytoys.com/page/landing . If you ever look at doll photography, it will be most likely these types of dolls that are featured in the photos. To be honest, I had seen a lot of the Integrity dolls but had never quite been taken by then. It was more than just the price level but also that the dolls often had a severe look to them. I did not find their appearance appealing.

One day I came across Poppy Parker. Now this was a beautiful doll. There are many Facebook pages devoted to posting pictures of this doll. There are many versions of her with different hairstyles, face paint, and clothing. But in all these version, she has that distinctive whimsical look to her. Poppy Parker is from a past era, the 1960s, and her style displays this. If there was any doll from Integrity that I would consider purchasing, it would be Poppy.
 
Picture courtesy of
 

Picture courtesy of
 
Picture courtesy of

 

Picture courtesy of

 

Picture courtesy of

 

Picture courtesy of

 

Picture courtesy of

 


Picture courtesy of

 

Picture courtesy of

 


Picture courtesy of

 

 
The above pictures are from the Facebook page "PoppyParkerFanPage".
https://www.facebook.com/PoppyParkerFanPage

The following are a few other Facebook pages devoted to Poppy Parker:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/151551875023804/
https://www.facebook.com/poppy.parker.980?fref=ts

However, her price can be in the hundreds of dollars. In addition, Poppy is very popular. From what I gather, in order to directly purchase from Integrity, you need to be a member.  Then when new dolls are issued, you need to be at your computer hitting the refresh button in hopes that you can get what you want before supply runs out. Because of this, it was likely I would have to buy Poppy on the secondary market, such as eBay. And these dolls would be at even higher prices.
Because of what I heard about the prices and the availability, I had never seriously looked into buying a Poppy Parker doll. But this past summer, I decided to go big. Literally. I decided to buy a 16” doll. I decided to not buy Poppy, but to instead purchase Poppy’s granddaughter Tulabelle. As I said, Poppy is from a past era but Tulabelle is from the current times and best of all, she inherited some of her grandmother’s clothing. So her style is the best of both worlds.

To give you an idea of what 16” means in doll world, I will say Barbie is 11” tall. Here are some pics of a 16” doll with a Barbie-sized doll for comparison.



At left, Barbie sized doll. At right, 16" doll.
Picture courtesy of The Toy Box Philosopher
http://www.toyboxphilosopher.com/

Picture courtesy of The Toy Box Philosopher
http://www.toyboxphilosopher.com/
 
Here is the Tulabelle doll I decided on.






 
There are a few features I love about this doll. Her hair is a distinctive red. She is fully articulated and comes with a stand. I will be able to sit her down, have her stand, and pose her in many ways. I also love her outfit. It is a nice mix of dressy and casual. The leather look blue jacket is very stylish. With real belt buckles and a functioning zipper, it is displays great workmanship. The boots are funky and stylish. Underneath her leather jacket, she wears a gold dress with a mesh overlay. I wish I had this outfit!

She also comes with a clutch purse that opens and several jewellery accessories.
I have not yet taken her out of the box, but I am really happy with my choice. There are collectors who do not remove their dolls from the box. They keep them in their original packaging in order to keep them pristine and untouched. The values of the dolls may increase in the future. You may see terms like MIB or NRFB on sites like eBay. NRFB stands for 'Never Removed From the Box', which means the item has never been taken out of the original box, thus never handled. MIB stands for 'Mint in Box' which means this item is in mint condition and in its original box. So an item that is MIB may have been taken out and displayed or played with. Most of the dolls I have do not cost much and I don’t buy dolls to make money from my collection.

It seems that I have run out of time so I will end this post at this point. Next week I will describe the other two dolls that I purchased from the Integrity Toys line. They are from the Dynamite Girls collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment